Entries with Surname (Title)s starting with 'P'

Surname: PEARCE
Christian Names: Neville Walter aka Monty
Country: Australia
State or Province: Queensland
City or Town: Mudgeeraba - Robina
Service: Army Reserve
Commencement of service: 1979
Case Notes:

Pearce 1

It is all about perception. At first sight, a civilian or a child would perceive Neville Walter Pearce as a battle-hardened veteran of many wars – someone who has ‘kept Australia safe’. In the photo above, taken on Anzac Day 2021, Pearce is wearing twenty-three medals and twenty badges – one medal and five badges on his left breast, and twenty-two medals and fifteen badges on his right side, some on his breast, and some below his waist. And then, to seal the show of "bling", he wears a fancy army-motif belt.

Pearce represented his Returned and Services League (RSL) – Mudgeeraba-Robina RSL Sub-branch – as Master of Ceremonies (MC) at the Mudgeeraba Sunset Ceremony 2021, and gave an official speech. At the beginning of his speech he said:

"I am proudly of a fifth generation defence force".

Besides looking ridiculous, the fact is, Pearce is not “proudly fifth generation defence force”. In a direct line of ascent, neither his father nor either grandfather served, one great-grandfather did, both in the Boer War and WW1, and no great- great-grandfather served. The other men whose “bling” he reports wearing are not direct ancestors, so his claim of familial hierarchy where defence force service is concerned is simply untrue!

Here is what National Returned and Service League, have to say about wearing of relatives’ medals.

Fraudulent Wearing of Medals
"No person, with the exception of a direct descendant of a deceased service man or woman, may wear medals which have not been awarded to him or her personally. This also applies to the wearing of miniature medals and medal ribbons. Fraudulent
wearing of medals attracts penalties under Federal regulations and also attracts subsequent penalties under the RSL Constitution"

We accept that the matter is up for interpretation; however, Pearce is a direct descendant of only one of the men he claims he wears medals for.

It is not just because of all the medals he claims and wears that Pearce appears on this website. It is because he has stated to various people that he is a returned serviceman, a war veteran, and because he is wearing four Returned from Active Service Badges (RASB) in the photo supplied. Two WW1 RASBs can be clearly seen on his right-hand side, at breast height, and two WW2 RASBs can be seen at waist height. We hold Statutory Declarations detailing him as stating he is a returned serviceman/war veteran.

Pearce 2 Pearce 3 Pearce 4 Pearce 5

Here is an extract from the Qld RSL Constitution in relation to wearing of the RASB

Returned From Active Service Badge 14.6
"The Returned from Active Service Badge (RASB) is issued to Australian Defence Force personnel who have rendered warlike service. The badge enables individuals to display their involvement in warlike service when wearing civilian attire. It is worn when the wearing of service awards is not appropriate or possible. Conversely, it should not be worn when wearing service awards.
14.7 The RASB is only worn by the person to whom it has been issued, Family members and others, who may wear a deceased person's awards on appropriate occasions, do not wear the RASB"

Because the majority of replica medals Pearce wears, is from a step-family, whether or not he can wear their medals, is unfortunately, a matter that can be interpreted one way or the other. If he only wore one set on his right breast there would be no issue; however, he wears twenty-two medals, which he has stated are mostly replicas, obviously to attract attention. So we are now happy to confer that attention on him.

Pearce is a committee member of the Robina/Mugereeba RSL, and his fellow committee members have bestowed approval, in writing, for Pearce to wear the medals and all the badges, including the RASBs. Note the email below initiated by the Robina- Mugereeba RSL has been distributed to numerous RSL addressees

The Qld RSL District Western President, subsequently said, "the RSL would not be investigating this man".

The Mudgeereba-Robina RSL Secretary created and emailed back to an interested person, and the Qld state RSL the reasons, why they would not investigate the claims and excessive wearing of medals by Pearce. This email contained within it a statement
by Neville Pearce, explaining his supposed five generations of "direct descendants”, and the connection to him of these men, whose mostly replica medals he wears.